What type if addictions are there and what is an addiction?
Addiction: are maladaptive cognitions and behaviours that manifest themselves through different ways and cause dysfunction to the person in their daily lives.
- Love: “an unstable state of being, marked by a compulsion to deny all that you are or have been in favor of some new and ecstatic experience” (Peele, 1988)
- Drug: a chronic and very often relapsing brain that causes a person to use drugs like opiates, stimulants, depressants, hallucinogens, inhalants, and cannabis.
- Video Games: compulsive and obsessive use of video and computer games.
- Alcohol: misuse and over consumption of alcohol.
- Sex: a range of behaviours that are done in excess and significantly impact one’s life in a negative way; includes pornography, prostitution, masturbation or fantasy, exhibition/voyeurism, and Sadistic or masochistic behavior
- Gambling: a preoccupation with gambling to escape one’s problems